- The following points highlight the top six instances of plants that have been modified by genetic engineering.
- These are some examples: 1.
- Corn Labeled ″High Lysine″ 2.
An Increased Capacity for Nitrogen Fixation 3.Herbicide-Tolerant Plants 4.Varieties that are resistant to diseases and insects 5.Fertility Problems in Men 6.Genetically Modified Plants as Potential Bioreactors (Molecular Farming).
What is a transgenic plant?
Plants whose DNA has been altered through the process of genetic engineering are referred to as ″transgenic plants.″ This implies that one or more genes from a different species are introduced and integrated with the genetic material of the plant, which affects the features of the original genome. This can happen with one gene or many genes from a different species.
What are the advantages of transgenic cells?
Gene transfer has been utilized to enable the mass synthesis of a variety of proteins and compounds that are not normally produced by plants in their natural state. There is evidence to show that transgenic plants have lower production costs when compared to some of the other cell types employed in the manufacturing of biopharmaceuticals.
How can cross protection against viruses be obtained in transgenic plants?
- Cross protection against viruses in transgenic plants can be produced by inoculating the susceptible strain of a crop with a mild strain of a virus that aids in the development of resistance to more virulent strains.
- This procedure is known as ″inoculating″ the crop with ″cross protection.″ The production of antisense RNA against the gene responsible for tomato bruising has led to the development of tomatoes with increased resistance to the condition.
Is Meloidogyne incognita a transgenic plant?
This plant was not genetically modified in any way. Heteroderidae is the family that contains the nematode known as Meloidogyne incognita. The term ″southern root-knot nematode″ or ″cotton root-knot nematode″ is frequently used to refer to this pest. This plant was not genetically modified in any way.