- As a result of environmental adaptations, many plant species have developed modified stems that may perform a variety of roles.
- The primary focuses of the adaptations are on the storage of food and the reproduction of vegetation.
- Runners are long, thin stems that grow horizontally on top of the ground and root at the nodes along their length.
- Runners are a sort of stolon.
strawberries, spider plant.
- The primary storage organs that are employed by plants to perennate and store food are swollen tubers and rhizomes.
- These organs can be found underground.
- Answer in its entirety: – The stem of turmeric is referred to as the ″Rhizome.″ They are modified stems that develop in a direction parallel to the ground, and from their nodes, shoots and roots grow in a direction perpendicular to the stem.
What is stem modification?
- What exactly does ″Stem Modification″ mean?
- The stem is the axis of the plant and is responsible for the production of shoots, leaves, buds, and the terminal roots at the base.
- It does this through a variety of processes by transporting water, nutrients, and food to other areas of the plant’s body.
- In certain plants, the stem is transformed in order to carry out additional duties such as the storage of food, the provision of support, the multiplication of vegetatively, and the provision of protection.
What is the stem of a plant?
The stem is the axis of the plant and is responsible for the production of shoots, leaves, buds, and the terminal roots at the base. It does this through a variety of processes by transporting water, nutrients, and food to other areas of the plant’s body.
What is the function of underground modified stem?
Underground modified stems, like those seen in beetroots and potatoes, serve the plant body in the capacity of food storage units. 2. What are pseudobulbs? There are various species of airborne orchids, each of which has one internode on the stem that develops a tuberous and fleshy growth.
How to establish that potato is a modified stem?
Potatoes have evident characteristics that establish them as modified stems, such as scale leaves, condensed nodes and internodes, eyes, and scale leaves.
Which set of plant stem is modified to store food?
Therefore, the response that should be given is ″potato.″
Which of the following is stem modification for storage?
Modification of stem cells Rhizome (ginger), Tuber (potato), Bulb (onion), and Corm (bulrush) are all good food storage options (Colocasia).
Which plant has a storage stem?
- In addition, food and water are usually kept in the stem of the plant.
- The woody stems of trees and shrubs are two examples of food-storing stems.
- Other examples include tubers, rhizomes, and corms, which are more specialized types of stems.
- Cacti have stems that are very good at storing water, and photosynthesis may occur in any green stem.
- Cacti stems are among the most water-efficient parts of the plant.
How many plant stem is modified for storage?
There are three distinct forms of modified stems, which are as follows: Underground – Rhizome, Bulb, Corm, Tuber. Subaerial – Runner, Sucker, Offsets, Stolon.
What is an example of stem that store food in them?
The answer is that a potato is the storage organ of the plant. In the same compartments where food is kept in the stem, you’ll also find other foods like ginger and turmeric. These are the plant’s backup nutrients, which are stored in the stem of the plant.
Which of the following is a modified stem example?
- The solution you’re looking for is potato.
- The subterranean section of the potato is a modified stem in the sense that it stores reserve food and possesses all of the characteristics of a stem, including the fact that roots and shoots emerge from it and that it also includes buds (eyes).
- The potato is a kind of tuber (that part carry out photosynthesis- the green color part seen in young potato).
What are some examples of modified stems?
- Some examples of subsurface modified stems include the following: The rhizome is a subterranean stem that is fleshy and brown rather than green.
- Bulb: ADVERTISEMENTS:
- It is a condensed type of rhizome that grows in a vertical manner and is known as a corm.
- Tuber: ADVERTISEMENTS:
In which of the following type of stem storage of food occur and it is also involved in vegetative reproduction?
Therefore, the answer that you should select is ″Bulb.″
Which plant can store?
Plants that are classified as succulents have the ability to retain water in their leaves, stems, and even their roots.
What is storage in plants?
A storage organ is a component of a plant that has been adapted in a specific way to store either water or energy, such as carbohydrates. They are normally located underground (as a kind of defense against herbivores) and are the consequence of alterations to the roots, leaves, or stems of the plant.
In which form plants store food?
Starch is the form in which plants store their nourishment for later use.
Which vegetables are modified stem?
List of Stem Vegetables
|CROP NAME||SCIENTIFIC NAME||FAMILY|
|Examples of stem vegetables with edible modified underground stem called tuber:|
|Jerusalem artichoke||Helianthus tuberosus||Asteraceae/Compositae|
|Yam, ube||Dioscorea alata||Dioscoreaceae|
How is the stem modified in Opuntia?
Therefore, the appropriate response is ″Option B- Phylloclade.″
How are stem of plants modified?
Stem Tendrils Tendrils are modified structures of a plant’s stem or branches that seem like green threads and lack leaves. These structures are known as tendrils, and they are employed for climbing. These tendrils can either be unbranched or branched, and at the place when they branch, there is a scale leaf that can be observed.