- South Africa is the most advanced country in the area of modern biotechnology in Africa.
- The country ratified the Cartagena Protocol in August 2003.
- The competent national authority includes the Ministry of Environment and the National Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.
- The national biosafety framework is based on the Environment Conservation Act, 1989 and the Genetically Modified Organisms Act, 1997.
- Cotton: commercial release of Bt cotton,
- Soybean: commercial release of Bt soybean
- Maize: commercial release of Bt maize.
- Insect-resistant potato: CFT on insect-resistant potato.