- Mozambique signed the Cartagena Protocol in May 2000 and ratified it in October 2002
- Designation of the Ministry of Science and Technology to serve as the National Biosafety Authority
- Drafting of biosafety regulations/guidelines in 2007.
- Establishment of an inter-institutional working group (GIIBS – Grupo Inter- Institucional Sobre Bio-Segurança) in 2012 to serve as the National Biosafety Committee(NBC)
- Mozambican government passed the revised biosafety decree into law in 2014
In December 2015, conditional approval for the conduct of the CFT for Water efficient maize for Africa (WEMA)
- In September 2016, approval for the conduct of the CFT for Water efficient maize for Africa was granted.