- Malawi signed the Cartagena Protocol in May 2000 and ratified it in February 2009.
- A biosafety act was adopted since 2002.
- Biosafety (Management of Genetically Modified Organisms) Regulation gazetted in 2007
- A national Focal Point was established in December 2011.
- In 2013, a National Competent Authority was established and all the necessary regulations and guidelines were put in place.
CFT of Bt cowpea planted in 2016
Materials for GM banana testing imported in 2016 and would be planted anytime soon